At times, you may get orders containing tobacco products like cigarettes, cigars, electronic cigarettes, and other similar products. The following information is intended to help you lawfully deliver tobacco products. Please note that you could be held liable if you transport or deliver tobacco products to a minor or someone who is visibly intoxicated, so it’s important that you follow this process fully to protect yourself, the customer, and the health and safety of minors.
I. TOBACCO PRODUCT PICK-UP
Tobacco orders are for 21+. In order to pick up an order including tobacco products, you will be required to present your valid driver’s license, so please make sure you have it on you before accepting the order. Go4Foodies must be 21 or older to deliver tobacco.
II. TOBACCO PRODUCT DROP-OFF
A. AGE AND ID VERIFICATION
When an order contains a tobacco product, the law requires you to verify the age of the customer before you hand over the tobacco product(s). You can only deliver tobacco products to a customer if the customer is 21 years of age or older.
To verify age, ask the customer to see a valid ID. Check every customer’s ID every time, even if the customer clearly appears to be over 21. A valid ID must include a photograph and date of birth. For example, acceptable forms of ID may include:
- A valid driver’s license issued by federal, state, county, or municipal government.
- A valid passport.
- An identification card issued by the Armed Forces of the United States that contains the name, date of birth, description, and picture of the person.
Next, make sure the ID is not invalid or fake:
- Check the expiration date. Do not accept an ID that is expired.
- Ask to remove the ID from the wallet.
- Compare the customer at the door to the photo in the ID. Examine facial features: are the height, eye shape, ear and nose shape or placement similar? Ignore weight, hair and makeup as these may change.
- Feel the edges of the ID – a legitimate ID will have smooth, uniform edges. A fake ID may have rougher edges and perhaps may be coming apart.
- Look for glue lines or bumpy or uneven surfaces. A real ID’s surface should be consistent.
B. RESTRICTED LOCATIONS
Do NOT, under any circumstances, deliver tobacco products to the following locations:
- Public or private school (K-12) (e.g. an elementary school);
- Hospitals & health care facilities;
- Sports venues or any place hosting a sporting event;
- College campus (e.g. a frat house);
- Prison, reformatory, veterans’ home, or state capitol grounds;
- P.O. Boxes;
- Locker or similar package storage service (e.g. a storage facility); or
- Other business that sells tobacco products (e.g. tobacco retail shop).
Lastly, use your judgment. If you have any doubts about the ID, the customer, or encounter a situation in which it does not seem reasonable to deliver a tobacco product (e.g., a location where only minors present), do not complete delivery and contact support.